With COVID-19 around the corner, the world has come to a standstill. People are now staying at home wondering how to pass their time and get more productive day by day. It can be too cold or too hot or too rainy, but inside there’s plenty to do to socialise with your loved ones. After a certain time, many older adults lose mobility due to conditions like stroke, severe arthritis, or injuries from falls. When this happens, mobility comes to a halt, and activities they used to enjoy might now be too difficult. But loss of mobility doesn’t mean the end of good times. There are many uplifting activities for seniors to have fun, boost mood, and stay engaged with the world without needing to move around too much. For example, while participating in a fun activity like a game, there is always a good amount of laughter and fun involved. Laughing together and having fun creates consistent communication with all your family members. Indulging in such activities helps combat loneliness too. Creative indoor games can even help the brain retain and build cognitive associations well in old age.
To help you find things that focus on elderly care, we rounded up 5 wonderful activities for seniors to keep them occupied and uplift their spirits.
- Play board and card games – Join in a fun and stimulating card game, or create a regular card-playing group with the members of your family. Test your skills at a variety of board games while challenging others and yourself. The best types of board games are chess, carrom, puzzle and the infamous ludo which helps in sharpening your IQ and foster creativity. In elders, it can prevent Alzheimer’s and improve memory too enabling problem-solving skills.
- Indoor fitness programs – Whether you’re sitting or standing, you can still get the health and mood benefits, especially from seated exercises or chair yoga routines. Such activities reduce depression, increase blood circulation and improve mental health. Exercise improves strength and flexibility, which also helps improve balance and coordination, reducing the risk of falls. Regular physical activity and fine-tuned motor skills benefit cognitive function too.
- Learn a new skill – For seniors who have worked hard all their lives just to make a living, retirement can open the door to newfound creativity. Drawing, coloring, painting, and sculpture are all wonderful ways to be creative. Fun projects might include creating scrapbooks, jewelry making, knitting, organizing family photo albums, or making a family recipe book. A new found skill can help in stress management calming the mind and body too.
- Spend your time reading – Reading is a fantastic activity for seniors. It’s a fun way to spend time and keep the brain engaged. Scientific studies have found many benefits of reading for senior citizens, from reducing stress and enhancing sleep to improving memory circuits, sharpening decision-making and possibly even delaying the onset of dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease. The best thing about reading books is that you choose what kind of book you prefer to read, how it can nurture your skills or just for fun as a means of passing time.
- Watch movies – Movie watching in groups is also beneficial to memory care because it creates an ideal setting for socialization. That’s what makes home movies so special. They capture our most cherished memories and allow us to play them back whenever we want. Watching home movies reminds seniors that they’re loved and lifts their spirits.
These indoor activities for seniors make for a fun, productive day! Whether it’s raining or you’re housebound, these indoor activities for seniors will keep you having fun for hours at a time.
Apart from all such indoor activities that can boost your mood, we conduct healing and wellbeing workshops that can stimulate physical, mental, and overall health. A sprawling lustrous garden and walking trails fit for exercise are situated inside the community for the seniors to interact and socialize with their loved ones and keep engaging in other activities. We even encourage yoga practice and swimming sessions at The Chennai Homes
to stay active and healthy. Our friendly and cheerful staff can guide you through various uplifting activities that can help you stay fit even in your old age. Would you like to know more about us? Come over for taking a look at our beautiful and vibrant community or feel free to call us at +91 99419 95555 with any of your queries. Live life to the fullest and spend your golden years in peace, care and lots of love.